Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Swim Class

Swim class starts at 11. It's less than a mile to walk. To be on the safe side, we leave at 10.


It takes a long time to put on Roan's swim gear, which consists of a swim diaper, trunks, a rash guard,and a swim cap. In the locker room, he knows that if he prevents me from putting on his gear, this will delay the swimming portion of this expedition. He also quite cleverly observes that my mom is the only one not wearing a bathing suit, and refuses to leave her lap.

Eventually I tear him away from Grandma and take him into the pool, where he clings to me while halfheartedly splashing. When the Hokey-Pokey starts he is loosens his grip and looks around. By the time we get to The Wheels on the Bus he is sold. He loves swimming lessons. This time.

After lunch we take the bus home. I'm not sure why, but Roan adores the bus. When he sees one coming his whole body tenses up with excitement and he starts shouting and pointing and bouncing up and down. Here he is with Grandma Mac, having spotted the bus coming his way. He's never as excited to actually be riding the bus; I chalk it up to something I call the Party Bus Phenomenon: it always looks a lot more fun than it is. Even so, he always sits quietly and attentively and holds on tight to the pole, like he's riding a roller coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment