Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Welcome


Dear Ilan,

You were born 8 days early. Your brother was born 8 days late and that, along with being consistently told that you measured small made me believe it took me longer than usual to grow a baby. I didn't expect you for another two weeks.

You came three days before the winter solstice, which marks the change of season from fall to winter. The winter solstice is the shortest day of the year, and was our first full day home with you. It was a beautiful day, unseasonably warm, and we took you on your first walk outside to let the sun shine on your face while you slept.

You are an easy baby. You have long and delicate fingers and toes. You were born sunny side up, which means you were face up instead of face down. Your umbilical cord was unusually long, had two vessels instead of three, and had a true knot in it, which means at some point, when you were very small, your cord made a circle and you swam through it. There are a thousand small details I could mention, things that came up during my pregnancy, and things that were discovered at your birth, that make your life seem like more of a miracle than most. A thousand small things that could have gone wrong but didn't.

I was sick when I went into labor with you. I had a sore throat and bad chest cold, and hadn't been getting much sleep. After delivery my voice was horse and whispery, and within a few hours it was gone entirely. I spent the first 48 hours of your life whispering to you. In the following days my voice was husky and crackly. Did you wonder where your real mother was, the one whose voice you'd heard booming and echoing for months?

You recognized your brother's voice. Your first night home was the second night of Channukah, and we lit the candles and opened presents. Roan got a finger monster, and he played a game where it attacked us. Every time he laughed or spoke you looked around for him, wanting to join the fun. When you are fussing, you often stop if you hear his voice.

Our lives seem so much fuller already, being a family with two boys. I am so happy you are here.

Welcome.

Ilan Clive Lyons, December 19th, 7:59AM, 6lbs, 14oz, 19 inches



2 comments:

  1. Jay and Cameron you do great work that is a good baby. You make me feel so blessed That I'm in the family can not wait to get out there play with the boys
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! love him and we can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete