Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hair Family Reunion

I'll admit that I was not looking forward to this family reunion.  Located in Pacific Beach, Washington State, it involved a 6 hour red eye flight followed by a 3 hour drive in a rental car.  In addition to our usual luggage, we schlepped two car seats and a pack n' play.  There was a point, 2 hours into the drive up from Portland, where I lost it.  Lani had been screaming for the entire car trip.  This was followed by the 4 hours of screaming he did on the plane.  Jay and I hadn't slept.  I told Jay to pull off the highway right now, because I needed to get out.  He exited into a massive traffic jam caused by construction.  When we finally reached a parking lot, I left the car and thought about not coming back.  I remember thinking to myself that nothing could possibly be worth this much hassle.

I was wrong.  There's something special, maybe even magical, about family reunions.  Sure, we only see most of these people every 2 years.  But there's a connection, there's an ease in being around family, all the shared memories, the common history that everyone remembers a little bit differently, everyone understanding where everyone else comes from.  I pick up some of the closeness second hand, watching my mom reconnect with her brothers and sisters, all the teasing, the old jokes.  The travel was brutal.  But it was worth it.  I would do it again.

My top 10 reasons why this family reunion was great:


1. We don't have to hold the baby.





2. The Hair sisters dance the Mohey Tawa.





3. We fly kites



4. We get air.





5. We celebrate new life.



6. Grandpa follows us everywhere.


7. We play sports







8. We tell stories.


9. We watch "shows."




10. Matching outfits Grandma bought.




2 comments:

  1. Great post popi had a great time for the same reasons. We old people love seeing the new life Jay and you are such a good mom and dad I love seeing you in action.Action is what get with the Hair kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. And so happy for Erica and Clint!

    ReplyDelete