Sunday, July 28, 2013

Summer in the City

You guys: it has been so so hot.  All we do is sweat sweat and sweat.  I wear dresses and the sweat drips down my legs.  The boys sweat through their sunscreen, and even after I dab their faces with hankies little beads of moisture appears on their upper lips, like beards.

I wish you could tell from these photos how oppressive the heat is.  It should show up in my photographs, it's so thick.  The other night I had dinner with an author, at Pok Pok Ny, this really hip semi-outdoor Thai restaurant with no air conditioning.  We stood in a long line of Brooklynites to eat dinner at 5:30 in the afternoon.  Have you ever eaten incredibly spicy food in 100% humidity?  It was like a competitive sweat fest.

This month Roan is taking a gardening class at the botanic gardens, every Wednesday and Friday from 9 till noon.  I thought it would be so fun, hanging out with Ilan for 3 hours, wandering around the gardens.  But even at 9AM it's so damn hot, and we just sweat the whole time.  The thing is, the air is so still.  There's no breeze, and it just hangs on you.  Sometimes when I move my arms, the air feels so thick I expect to see streaks.

During this heat wave Grandma and Grandpa Lyons came to visit from Texas, and I think they were quite horrified by the heat.  In Texas, everything is air conditioned.  Here, not so much.  Even when we turn on our wall units, the bathroom is steamy with humidity, walking in there feels like you're entering a sauna.  We can't use the oven, or even the stove top, it's just too much heat.  Everything has to be BBQ'd outside.  

Here are some shots of our heat wave activities.

Reaching for water at the Botanic Gardens

Open hydrant at a block party

Roan learns to ride a pedal bike!

"Pool party" in our yard

Watching koi in the Japanese Garden

Sweating in our yard

Lani plays in a stream at the Gardens



1 comment:

  1. Such a good post. I can literally feel the heat just from reading it! It also brought to mind the smell of hot, August garbage on the sidewalks. New York in summer, ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete