Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Motherhood - call for submissions

I watched this terrible movie the other night - "Motherhood," with Uma Thurman and Minnie Driver. Uma Thurman is a harried mom trying to plan her 6-year-old daughter's birthday party while taking care of her 2-year-old son. She lives in the West Village, about a mile south of Chelsea, where we lived with Roan until he was nine months old. And let me tell you, New Yorkers are nowhere near as rude and hostile to moms as they were to Uma. The stuff that happened to her was just over-the-top unbelievable, the dialog ridiculously malicious. And the worst inconsistency: Billy's Bakery is NOT open until midnight. They close at 10PM. BELIEVE ME PEOPLE, I WOULD KNOW.

During all this, Uma (an aspiring writer) is entering a contest where she has to write 500 words on what Motherhood means to her. The most horrible thing about the movie? After despising every minute of it I actually cried at the end, when she reads her entry. Because despite the fact that she's a loathsome character, that last little snippet rang true to me. There is nothing more shameful than being brought to tears by a movie that is so easy to make fun of. When did I become such a softie?

What's even worse is that I am actually inspired by this atrocious movie to enter the pretend contest and write 500 words on what Motherhood means to me. Unlike Uma, I'm not giving myself a deadline. And, I think it would be really fun to hear from the moms who read this blog. Here is my plea: Moms, I know you are busy and have about 8 million other things to do that are a lot more important, but, will you take some time out of your day and send me 500 words on Motherhood? To the moms who have grown children who no longer live at home: I can't imagine that you are all that busy, so really, you have no excuse not to enter.

To put it in perspective, 500 words is really short. By the end of this sentence, this post will already be 375 words long, and didn't it just fly by? I'll post any entries on the blog, or link out if you've got your own blog (or you want to post elsewhere). There will be a prize! If you enter, I will buy you a Billy's cupcake. Though, if you live far away, I might just have to eat it for you too. Hell, you don't even have to be a mom to enter. I would love to hear back from you, all of you, wherever you are!

The quality of my entry will be dependent on the length of Roan's nap... to be posted soon!

7 comments:

  1. God, I miss Billy's. I suppose I can come up with 500 words for a chance to eat one of those delicious vanilla/vanilla concoctions. If I win, you have to mail it to me or I will come after you.

    (Is this threat going to basically ensure that I don't win?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no winners, no losers, just us moms talking our mom talk, (and cupcakes, hopefully lots of cupcakes). So yes, if you write something, I will look into FedExing you a vanilla-on-vanilla.... After all, if you can FedEx breast milk, anything is possible....

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can really fedex breastmilk? well, then a cupcake sent to rome is a real possibility...i will work on my essay on the bus next week as my commute begins again and life is supposed to 'go back to normal' + one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cameron,

    I'm Rachel's "Canadian" friend & next door neighbour in NC. (I secretly wish it was in Lavallette! Oh, to live ocean side year round - do you think it ever gets dull?) She sent me your link.... it's nice to meet you and Roan!

    I have not seen the movie, but, I just spent 4 days in NYC with my 16 month old and didn't encounter any descriminations. In fact one woman stopped to talk to me on 5th Ave and let my wee lass play with her dog on the side door steps of the Plaza. I HEART New York!

    I'd love to take a stab at an entry. 500 words eh? You might get them in nap time installments....hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billy's Bakery might not be open at midnight but Maxdelivery.com is opened till midnight and can deliver Billy's Bakery cupcake to you at midnight if you wish! Let us know if you need cupcakes!
    As a mother of two, myself, I will try and the 500 word essay on motherhood as well. Thanks for the inspiration. wynne@maxdelivery.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to "meet" you ETMS! I've never raised a child anywhere else, but New Yorkers are fabulous. They've actually become more friendly to me since I've had Roan! I'm looking forward to your entry.

    Wynne: This is dangerous news about Maxdelivery.com . I kind of wish I could "unknow" it. You might hear from a desperate version of myself at 11PM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I can't read. Winning, entering...it's all the same to me. :)

    ReplyDelete