Friday, June 10, 2011

East Coast Conversation

The other day I had some friends over. I asked their opinion about where on the fence I should hang this plant bag called a Wooly Pocket. Here's how it went:

Me: Okay, so, what do you think, right here?

Lindsay: Wait, where do you put the plant?

Me: Right in this bag, you put in soil, then the plant.

Lindsay: Does it even hold water? What kind of material is this? (makes yucky face).

Me: It's made out of recycled plastic bottles. There's a special watering system, like this... (I explain stuff. Friends look skeptical. They discuss alternate watering strategies that would work better).

Gary: Did someone give that to you?

Lindsay: Did you choose that color?

Me: I actually paid money for this, on the Internet.

Lindsay: So you didn't know it would look like that.

Me: Guys, stay on task. Just tell me where to put it.

Gary: You know what you should buy? One of those up-side-down pots where you grow tomatoes. Up-side-down. Those are cool.

(Long argument between Lindsay and Gary about whether such a thing really exists. Gary settles it with his iPhone. It really does exist.)

Lindsay: You need two of those bags, right there, one right on top of the other.

Me: Well, I just have this one.

Lindsay: You need another one.

Gary: Why do you have to put a plant on your wall?

Me: Um...

Lindsay: Why don't you put it over there? (points to a totally different wall, which receives no sunlight, ever)

Gary: Yeah, put it over there (points to sunless wall) and then you can buy one of these up-side-down strawberry pots to hang there (shows me an iPhone picture of one).

*****

If I lived in California, I think the conversation would have gone like this:

Me: Okay, so, what do you think, right here?

Friends: Yeah, that looks good.

Me: Sweet!

Friends: (amongst themselves, after leaving my place) : That was a pretty wretched looking plant bag, right?

Yeah, she totally should have bought one of those up-side- down tomato kits.

2 comments: