Thursday, February 17, 2011

Playlist

We have 3,798 songs on our iPod. Almost 300 of those are children's songs. But Roan will only listen to 2 songs. Redemption Song, and Wagon Wheel.

We have two versions of Wagon Wheel, but only one is acceptable. The Chris Pureka version, not the OCMS one. Babysitters must be advised not to confuse the two. We've also had to clarify his constant request for Redemption Song, which, when he asks for it, sounds remarkably like, "a different song." The uninformed babysitter could roll through half our library without finding the "different song" he's looking for.

Why these 2 songs? Jay's been singing him Redemption Song as a lullaby since he was a baby, and they also happen to be 2 of the songs that I can play competently on the guitar. I guess he's heard them a lot. We don't have a television upstairs, so there is always some kind of music playing. And for the last week, he has wanted to hear Redemption Song, and then Wagon Wheel, in that order, repeat repeat repeat.

It's killing us. We try to trick him by saying, okay, first we'll listen to this other song, and then Redemption Song will come on. He always remembers. And if Redemption Song isn't the next thing out of the speakers, we've got a problem. We try turning off the music, or listening to talk radio. No dice.

This morning Roan had a fever. I sat in the rocking chair and read him book after book. When he finally relaxed I realized that I'd had Wagon Wheel in my head all morning. Hell, I've had that song in my head for weeks. I sang it to him slowly, and for the first time in months he fell asleep in my arms. Even when he started snoring I didn't want to stop singing. It really is a damn fine song.

No comments:

Post a Comment